Rice is one of Kenyans’ staple food but it is very sad that majority of the households eat white rice which has been altered to fit market needs at the same time reduce the vital nutrients in the bran and germ that makes brown rice thicker and gives it the rich brown colour. On top of that, the rice is then bleached using toxic chemicals that have been proven to be carcinogenic (cancerous) so if you choose this healthier alternative you are simply guaranteeing yourself better health and a leaner waist line! Yes! Bron rice does play a big role in weight loss and here’s how…
Brown rice contains more calories and hence will require more energy to burn/process. This energy will be accessed from the fats that lie around your stomach hence helping you lose weight easily without wasting time slaving inside a gym when you could be reading my soon-to-be-released health book that will have a full chapter on weight loss using natural and delicious foods with minimal and fun exercise like nature walking, dancing, yoga.
Mastering the Art of Cooking Brown Rice
I have eaten brown rice at restaurants and of course the taste was dead and this may have given you a bad perception of this amazing whole food. First you need these ingredients;
- the brown rice itself, 1 cup
- 1/4 cup of organic honey (Commercial honey if full of preservatives, colourings, flavourings hence the bad taste). The honey will caramelize together with the rice making the crust extra delicious<<< serve last 😉
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 teaspoon of Dried Rosemary and fresh Basil (optional but the nutrients and the flavours that these herbs brings to the table are invaluable)
- 1 teaspoon of salt preferably sea salt which has more minerals and is less processed as is regular table salt
- Soak the rice in water for 2-3 hours or 24 hours depending on the texture and your time of course.
- Drain the water and put a new fresh pint (1/2 a Litre) or a 1:3 ratio for the rice and water respectively.
- Add sea salt, honey and the extra virgin olive oil and let it boil for 20 minutes on moderate heat.
- After 20 minutes of boiling, lower the heat and cover for another 20 minutes. Then take it of the fire and then let it cook with the steam for another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with the Basil
- You may drizzle some olive oil and honey as a garnish too 😉
Serve with black beans stew and an avocado and your children will throw away that ice-cream for this super nutritious feast 🙂