- Organic Beet root juice – small cup (250 ml) everyday preferably the first thing you do after waking up. Modern research has proven that the nitrates in Beet root juice lower high blood pressure within 24 hours. If you can get organic beets, the better.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil or EVOO is the only olive oil that is cold pressed by mechanical means only making it very rich in antioxidants that help reverse high blood pressure. Other olive oils are heated and chemically processed reucing their nutrients by a large extent.
- Celery and Celery Juice – This is a widely known natural remedy for lowering high blood pressure especially in ancient China. Modern day scientific research proves that the phthalides in this veggie help relax the muscle tissues in the walls of your blood vessels (arteries) helping increased blood flow subsequently lowering blood pressure.
- Whole Foods – Instead of white rice, go for brown as well as brown chapati, brown porridge. White rice is heavily processed and bereaved off more than 80% of the nutrients especially fibre which has been proven to help in lowering blood pressure. On top of that, the rice is bleached using toxic chemical so as to make it more white and appealing to the customer. Oats, Amaranth, Quinoa, Whole wheat, Sorghum, finger millet, Rye. Winnies Pure health products make organic flour out of these whole grains.
- Good Fats – Low Fat diet is a very incorrect urban myth. We need fats, saturated fats and unsaturated fats for normal body functioning but the sources of the fat really do matter. Animal products contain plenty of saturated fats that stick on the walls of your blood vessels (arteries) and cause high blood pressure. Plant based fatty foods like avocados, olives, nuts and seeds contain of unsaturated fats that reverse the effect of the animal fats in this case, help lower blood pressure. Cold water fish also contain a good proportion of the good fats like Omega 3 fatty acid which also helps in lowering blood pressure as well as other numerous health benefits; Salmon, Tuna, Mackerel, Trout, Sardines << never buy the canned ones which are high in sodium which brings me to the next point.
- Vitamin C – Lemons, Limes, oranges and tangerines; Very nice eaten as is, juiced and as a salad dressing. The zest is also very nutritious when thoroughly cleaned.
- Sodium – Sodium is a great mineral but the best sources of this mineral is green leafy vegetables. Table salt contains a lot of sodium hence you need to reduce it and eventually quit it. You may replace it with spices and herbs which are actually the best seasoning. Tropical heat/Nature’s Own/Winnie’s Pure health have the bes tpure ground spices and herbs which are packed with several health benefits. Cayenne pepper, Black pepper, Cumin seeds, Tumeric, Paprika, Coriander, Oregano, Rosemary, Basil, Mint, Thyme, Marjoram all these spices and herbs are HEALTHY despite urban myths.
Foods To Avoid
Processed foods like sausages, hotdogs, brawn have alot of sodium so please avoid them like the plague.
- Sugar – I know, We all love sweet things but sugar has been proven to raise blood pressure so you should quit the stuff, of course not immediately, but the best thing is to substitute with natural sweeteners like honey, sugar cane juice, molasses and eventually your mind will adapt to no sugar…remember…it’s all in the mind.
- Red Meat – Meat contains lots of sturated fats that clog your arteries and increases blood pressure. Again, start by eating lean red meat like lamb or rabbit the substitute most of your meat days with beans. Eat more fish, as mentioned previously.
- Trans fat – Cheese, butter, sausages, hot dogs, vegetable oil<< highly processed animal fats, tranfats