Highly refined wheat all purpose flour is poison. There is no other way to look at it. First the chemicals used to grow the wheat are not sexy, then the chemicals used to bleach the flour are not attractive on the palate. Third is that white flour is nutritionally void, making you crave for food even immediately after eating 5 slices of white bread or chapati. Gluten affects the villi in your small intestines and this results to food not being digested but simply converted into belly fat, this is why almost 9 out of 10 women I know have belly fat, gluten, as well as white rice, soda, tea, coffee cosmetics that all interfere with digestion leaving the food to be stored as belly fat.
Keeping off white bread or pastries is tricky because the majority of people are brain-washed into thinking that the mzungu kind of breakfast is good, nobody wants to hear about African style breakfast of honey-sweetened fermented porridge with root vegetables like nduma (arrowroots), ngwaci (sweet potatoes) and so. This type of breakfast is very filling and gives you more than enough energy to tackle the day, you won’t even remember about the free toxic aoffice tea at 10.
Another way to get hearty, filling and nutritious breakfast is gluten-free baking at home. This recipe I am sharing today packs it all; fibre, vitamins, protein, antioxidants you name it and it is not that expensive to make at home. Let’s get down to business shall we.
Mix Dry Ingredients
- 1 cup oatmeal
- ¾ cup dessicated coconut
- ½ cup jaggery/unrefined cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- ½ cup raisins (optional)
- 1 tablespoon flaxmeal
Whisk Wet ingredients
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- Juice of one small lemon
- Mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients and then add 1/3 cup of extra virgin coconut oil and knead into a dough.
- Leave the dough to sit at least 30 minutes to 2 hours and then preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius.
- Shape dough into small balls and line baking sheet with parchment paper or brown paper bag.
- Bake 17 minutes. Remove from oven and rest on baking sheet for 10 minutes and then transfer to cooling rack. Rest 20 minutes and enjoy.