Chia is now a buzzword in the health community and with good reason. The seeds are very nutrient dense and nutrient diverse hence making it a superfood. It is locally farmed (Uganda) using organic methods and no toxic chemicals.
It is particularly loved in smoothies because it is loaded with complete protein and fibre which keep you full and energetic throughout the day. This leads to less eating and more exercise and eventually weight-loss.
The fruits help to balance out the bitter flavour of the greens and you end up with a very tasty and healthy smoothie that you can carry to the office/gym/school or just enjoy at home with the kids. Yes, it is tasty and kids might love it.
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds soaked in half a litre of water
- 1 bunch kale or a mixture or kale and terere/amaranth greens
- 2 bananas
- 1 slice of watermelon (about 1 cup when diced – you can get fresh pre-sliced fruit from the market vendors)
- 1 slice of pineapple (about 1 cup when chopped)
- A few leaves of fresh basil, about a small handful (optional)
Blend and serve fresh. It can keep fresh in the fridge for 1 day but it is better to drink it withing 2 or 3 hours max.