As usual, I like to draw inspiration from all over the world and this time it is from North Africa. There is this paste called Harissa that is quite popular up north and it is also making strides globally. I used it in two different applications and it has wowed me both times.
It is made with bell peppers, chilli peppers and another flavouring depending on availability, seasonality and where you are. Some people also used smoked peppers.
- 1 or 2 coloured bell peppers. I like yellow ones which are a little bit sweeter.
- 3 or 4 chilli peppers, You can adjust to your liking.
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tomato, 1 bunch dania/cilantro
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 small onion
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon sea salt
- A few tablespoons of water, about 4-5
- Coat the bell pepper ith oil, place it on a rack directly over some fire to roast the bell peppers. This makes them taste better and removes that bitter flavour.
- Mix everything together in the blender or food processor and puree for about 1 minutes, you don’t ant it too smooth.
- Use it to marinate fish/chicken/meat and/or use it as a curry paste to make the most delicious curry. The flavour is just amazing.